Sunday, September 21, 2014

My Best Souvenir



Well, of course, you don’t get everything done that you want to when you are on a trip.  And no this was not a vacation despite the fun places we did get to see.   I didn’t buy all the Colombian souvenirs that I wanted.  I have read about all of these other adoptive moms that have planned ahead and bought iconic classic pieces of their new child’s culture to give them at significant milestones in their lives.  Not me.  I had my hands full with 2 boys for 4 and a half weeks.  I had brought so many books and toys and games and activities and scooters and food that I could barely get my own stuff back home.  We bought a few things, but what I realized about half way through our trip freed me from the pressure to get all of the perfect souvenirs.

This Boy is Colombia.  It is in him and will be for his entire life, I’m sure.  He is a speeding car driving down the busy road, where stop signs are optional and lane lines are mostly decorative, when present.  He bends the rules and pushes the limits.  He is passionate and expressive to the extreme.  He is always moving like a bustling city.  He is creative and persistent.  He is hopeful and eager, looking to the future. We will have to teach him to follow the rules of the road, but we will definitely let him keep "the model" designed for and given to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment